-

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Daft Punk - Nostalgia Electronica




Daft Punk has always been apart of the subconscious of  the annals of my brain. I can remember when I first heard "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" via a Kanye West sample for his hit "Stronger", hipsters were upset because Kanye sampled their beloved Daft, yet still at that point I had no clue who they were. I was mildly interested in the controversy but not enough to search for more. Then there was a commercial, I believe it was a  "NOW thats what I call music" compilation album commercial and it would always play Daft's hit single "One More Time". I cannot tell you how long "One More Time" played in my head (maybe one more time? *comedic drum roll*). Even with the almost physhic reoccurance of them entering my consciousness it never clicked with me to uncover the music. Finally, I went to a party were my friend was playing their new single "Get Lucky" and  he explained to me the story of the robots..... Legendary music makers whose identities are shrouded in a mystery so secret that it transformed them into robots, this was enough to have me on the edge of my seat.

Needless to say I went home listened to every Daft Punk song imaginable on YouTube and I am now currently a crazed fan of the robot duo. If you are not as well you should definitely have your own Daft epihany.


The undisputed electro Gods are back at and in due time. There is no other musical act in history that has the mystique surrounding them that the robots have. Daft has been pretty quiet musically( with the exception of the Tron soundtrack) since their 2007 ALIVE record. 8 years between albums would be a path to irrelevance for most acts but the anticpation for Random Access Memories, the duos 6th studio album is at a fever pitch. With the recent undeniable rise of the electronic dance music movement it is no wonder why fans are clammering for the Pablo Picasso and Leonardo Da Vinci of electronice music to paint another masterpiece.

New to Daft Punk? Here is the essentials:

What you need to know? They are robots from another, more groovy planet who have decided to stake out in undisclosed hideaways in Paris and Los Angeles to create music.

Where should I start? Daft's first album was titled "Homework" this is a great album for people familiar with dance music but a more crossover and grandiose production that would catch anyones fancy is their "Discovery" album.

Must listen to song? One More Time , Robot Rock, Around The World.

Photos: GQ

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Translate